Wednesday, October 2, 2013

At The Torch ~ Spirit Shapes & Transforms Metal

Wow! It has been a long time since I have updated my blog. I have since picked up the torch and am loving it. It took a lot of experimenting and some classes with my favorite teacher in California to get the ball rolling. I will soon be heading back for more classes and some California fun.

The earrings below are made with starfish that I designed and sawed out of sterling silver sheet metal. After texturing and some hand finishing I soldered them onto other pieces of sterling sheet. I oxidized them to give them an ancient elegance. These starfish have movement and soul as they hover above seafoam green sea glass that we collected in Rincon, Puerto Rico.


These earrings also evolved with the help of the torch. I created the texture with some scrap wire and my rolling mill. Before putting the silver through the rolling mill I annealed with the torch so that the silver would be soft enough to get a good texture. Beautiful flowing organic lines harmonize with amber sea glass.


The medallion below was also created by use of the torch. It is thrilling and exciting to go through the process of soldering more than one piece of silver together! Previously soldered components could come alive and float around while soldering the next item.



No comments:

Post a Comment